July 18, 2020
Skaters we have returned to classes with social distancing. We have classes for beginners and those in B2 through Level 5. We offer classes outdoors at Crossroads park at the Basketball court on NE 8th Classes are 20 minutes in duration with social distances. More advanced adults are taught in the Kindering parking lot with lots of wide open space while kids are taught on the loop and using half the basketball court. We have benches for you to get your skates on and off, hand sanitizer and ask you to wear a mask. We believe it is working well as we are having 100 returning students to the classes. If you want to pair up with a sibling or friend, you can combine your classes for 40 minutes with 2 of you and 60 minutes with 3 of you. You can find the sign up sheet in the link below. You find a space (not in yellow) and fill out the students name (parent name if applicable) and any gear or skates you need! If you don’t spaces reach out to trish at skatejourneys.org to assist you. You can book up to just minutes before the class starts if it is open.
Here is the link to put yourself in: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lVil_w2B7Z-XbMfZP7v-hkzufJj5bssv4SfEveBruEg/edit#gid=1687328912
A few people have asked how to cancel from their classes or to move them:
- We request 2 hours notice (or more) to cancel your class. If you are a no show, or less than 4 hours, we will send you a $10 cancellation fee to pay. These are private lessons and so we are reserving a spot just for you. If we fill the class, you will not be charged. It’s just so we can pay our instructor for their time.
- Go ahead and pull yourself off the schedule. We print it in the morning so we capture the list 4 hours before.
- You can go ahead and pull yourself off and move your class if you need to. (As long as it’s 4 hours in advance J)
We will put our schedule out about once a week. We added instructors so we should have plenty of openings.
The Rules and requests (things like masks, when to arrive, etc) are listed at the top of each page.
To schedule yourself (or child) as a returning student, just click on the Google Doc noted above and fill out the info
What if it rains? We have a link on our web to the nearest traffic camera at 156th & NE 8th and if that intersection is dry, we will be there. The tab says: Class Status/Weather and it will tell you what is going on in terms of classes.
Please let us know if you have any questions, or cannot find a slot, often I can move things around.
Best, Trish & the CREW!
Once again another exciting week for us at Skate Journeys! Let’s get going!
- Our offices are closed June 28 through July 7th as staff all take our first and much needed vacation
- We do not have classes on the Fourth of July weekend
- We have a new way to sign up for classes and we now have 3 instructors, 2 for kids and Trish for Adults
- Here is the link where you can sign up as a returning student for classes https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lVil_w2B7Z-XbMfZP7v-hkzufJj5bssv4SfEveBruEg/edit#gid=515474834
- Classes cost $20 for 20 minutes and it’s a private lesson. You must purchase any classes prior to taking your class J
- You can use your indoor class packages for these outdoor classes
- When they are used up, you can purchase $20 private lessons in 1,2,3,4,5 packs (up to $100) These lessons must be used by Sept 15th
- If you are bringing kids, please have them use the bathroom first, we cannot take them to the restroom, due to covid, and assist your child in the bathroom
- EVERYONE, including parents who drop off kids must wear a mask. No exceptions and thanks!
- Due to covid, please bring your own helmet. Bike helmets are fine
- Usually we help with getting the gear adjusted, we are not able to do that at this time and we can help you assist with the gear, from a distance
- We are using the Challenge Document for teaching and you will be given one at your class, please bring it to class each week so the instructor can see where you are at your learning, and what to work on. (see attached)
- We will keep families together. Each person can book up to 20 minutes except when there is 4, we consider it a group lesson and 4 will get 60 minutes
- Classes are at Crossroads, enter on NE 8th. We are at the upper basketball court adjacent to the big picnic shelter. The hoop is blocked off so we use the whole court and the loop.
We will start our Skate-Athon after the holiday on July 10th and you are welcome to set up your fundraising site now. This is a chance for you to set a goal and to reach for that goal. The Skate-athon is a fundraiser that each of you take on, get a few pledges and go skate. And we have fully matching funds for the skate athon so if you bring in just $25 in pledges, it garners us $50. Here is the link to check it out. https://skatejourneys.org/?page_id=2460
MINI CAMPS & Weekday Classes for kids: We will set up in mid June a chance for you to bring your kids to Crossroads (and we might move them to JDS, the outdoor space) for 60 and 90 minute classes during the week and for a Mini Camp. We will be in touch with what that looks like after our holiday. We also intend to do the “Cul-de-sac” classes where neighborhoods who are currently all playing together can have their own mini camp delivered to them. The little van is all set up for this—so stay tuned.
We are still in need of a computer! And thanks for considering donated us one!
And note that our offices are always closed on Mondays and Tuesdays as Lisa and I rest and rejuvenate for the work week ahead.
Mission Statement: Teaching and transforming lives through inline and roller skating
Learn the Grapevine. Trish created an 8 minute video via facebook live. Here it the link. https://www.facebook.com/SkateIA/videos/281403402876109/
How to buy skates: https://www.facebook.com/SkateIA/videos/236497830932851/ Filmed this in Shop-Task. Learn how to select your next pair of skates.
Skate Maintenance Video https://www.facebook.com/trish.alexander.376/videos/10222226803607365/We have another weekend of classes scheduled at Crossroads Park for new and returning students…and it looks like rain. However, I’ll drive the van over and hang out and hopefully teach between raindrops.
We are in need of a newish computer as our old donated Surface has exceeded it’s ability to hook to the new Ethernet/Router standards. It doesn’t need to be super powerful, as we are not opening 15 windows on it, but if you have a donation, we’d happily come by and get it from you. By newish, 3 years old or so is great, but you likely know more than we do about what might work. It’s for our HR director. And thanks!