Many accomplished skaters love the challenge of becoming an instructor, and the thrill of watching beginning students learn new moves under their tutelage. This training is for everyone who has intermediate skating skills on inline or quad skates and is looking to learn how to teach skating. No doubt participants will improve their skating skills during the process. This course will also prepare participants to take the Skate Instructor Association Instructor Certification, a prerequisite for possible future employment with Skate Journeys, or to run your own skating classes.
We offer this class once or twice a year, depending on demand. Contact us if you are interested. If you have an account with Skate Journeys already, you can click here and register for the 2019 course to be held in January/February/March.
The 16-hour Skate Instructor Training will prepare you to teach others how to skate well. The course uses a very systematic and well-proven teaching model. You will learn how to technically demonstrate and teach each skill, while also polishing your own skating skills. Below are the skills covered in the class with a lot of tricks, tips and fun in-between!
• V Walk and Basic Stride
• Heel Stop or Toe Stop
• Pivot—Left Inside edge
• Parallel Turns—both directions
• Backwards Skating—Swizzles & Pizza walk
• Spin Stops
• Crossovers in a circle—both directions
• Mohawk transitions—all directions
Info for our 2019 Apprentice Course:
About our 2019 Apprentice Program:
1. We offer 8 weekends of classes, with no make-up dates. It is okay to miss a class or two, but just know that you should work on anything you missed, or attend the other weekend day if possible (e.g., If you are doing Saturdays, then take the Sunday class)
2. The classes are offered both Saturdays and Sundays
3. The class taught on Saturday is the same class taught on Sunday, so you can attend either one.
4. You may choose either Saturdays or Sundays or both
5. Saturday classes will occur at 9:30am – 10:30am and will be taught by Taylor
6. Sunday classes will occur at 10am to 10:55am and will be taught by Dan.
7. The course only costs $80 and is open to anyone wishing to take the course
8. If you need a fee waiver for this class we are happy to offer this option.
9. You are NOT required to take the Skate IA Certification, but if you want to teach for us, you must take it and pass it.
10. Students who are 11 years old and older may take the course provided they are in Kids Level 5 or nearly Level 5 Kids.
Adults should be at Level 3, and getting close to Level 4
11. Some students who are ten years of age have taken the course and passed, because their skills were exemplary. This course is available to them by pre-arrangement to registering.
12. Candidates who pass this course are eligible to become instructors at our weekend classes and camps. But you must be invited by SJ to join our staff (volunteer or paid).
We pay our staff under several conditions:
a. You must be 15 years of age.
b. We must be in need of paid staff.
c. You meet the necessary criteria as designated by our job description.
13. You are not guaranteed to pass the Certification because you take the Apprentice Course.
14. If you practice and/or take additional courses during the Apprentice Program you are VERY likely to move up one level of skating skills.
15. We don’t mean to be a downer about passing, becoming an instructor, etc, but three things need to be acknowledged: If 20 people take the course, we won’t have space for everyone, not everyone who takes the certification passes and third, not everyone who completes the Apprentice Course has the skills to pass the Certification. All skaters who are considering taking the Course should be aware of the skills, which are listed below the signature line.
16. You can decide to take the Certification course at the end of the Apprentice Course. You do not have to decide prior to that. We will also advise you about your ability in regards to passing the course. Numerous students have taken the Apprentice course one year and then waited until the following year to take the Certification Course. We intend to set you up for success for your goals. You should set aside the dates for the Certification Course, just in case because you must attend the entire Certification Course Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday (Friday night 6pm to 9pm; Saturday 9am to 6pm; Sunday 9am to 5pm) March 29/30/31, 2019
Apprentice Course Dates:
You may select Saturdays or Sundays. You may also choose both for double classes. On the registration, you will select the program, not the actual dates. We avoided dates such as: MLK weekend, Mid-winter break & Spring Break:
January 12/13 (skips MLK weekend) 26/27
February 2/3, 9/10, (skips a weekend), 23/24
March 2/3, 9/10, (skips a weekend), 23/24 and then certification is March 29/30/31.
The 9am to 10am Sunday class will also benefit anyone seeking to become and instructor, but it is not part of the program and is a separate class. The Saturday 11am class will also benefit the Apprentice too.
On March 29/30/31 there is a Skate IA Instructor course being offered. Click here for Skate IA certification details for Level 1 Certification. Those who want to take that test are invited to do so. It is not run by Skate Journeys.For anyone wishing to become an instructor for Skate Journeys classes and summer camps you need to know that you must also take Skate Journeys Apprentice Course first.
Here is the link to register and if you have any questions, please make sure you read all of the above and then call me! 206-276-9328
Skate Instructor Certification Program www.skateia.org